Friday, March 21, 2014

So far so good

I am aware of more produce in the fridge that we are ever likely to eat. Hmmm. Fresh green beans, kale, carrots, onions, an array of dips, lettuce and courgettes (from the farm), and of course the full to overflowing freezer. I am aware too that I am not eating so much. I feel full rapidly. This is a good thing, cos portion size has been a challenge for me. I get a distinct feeling of being deprived – goes back to the days when Mum served a teaspoon of scrambled egg on half a slice of toast and that was our ‘cooked’ school breakfast. When ever I am faced with a small portion of food I have felt deprived. Broken that one at last.

The good news is that I have retained my weight. I was nervous I would put on weight with all the carbohydrates. So far so good.

I have been having a series of health checks recently. Eyes, clear and good. New frames though. Teeth….no fillings. Very glad. However, my blood test have shown I have a degenerative inflammation in my left sacroiliac joint. This explains the intense back pain I have had for the past year. The good news is that all the exercise I have been doing, and now this new eating regime, are going to assist. It won’t disappear, but I can do some things to ensure it doesn’t get worse. Very pleased about that! Also assisting is this whizz of a physiotherapist a friend recommended, Stephen, who is out in Johnsonville. So I am seeing him twice a week too. In six weeks we will see if the pain has lessened. Other elements of managing this is to have super duper posture. This means two new chairs for the farm. I am looking into this! No more slouching for me!
Buckwheat pancakes with blue berries and banana


On the food front, I am grappling with how to have fresh veges for each day, yet not have to shop often. Still working that out. I have discovered three new breakfast recipes in case I get sick of the rolled oats. One with Quinoa, one with buckwheat, and one with brown rice. 
Here we go: recipe from Ohsheglows




Dinner at Charlie Noble’s. This is one hot spot. Newly opened in Wellington’s Huddard Parker building, ex tenant being the NZRFU, Charlie Noble’s is a plan, elegant, and humming with people even at 6pm. http://www.charleynoble.co.nz  This was a christmas present from D and P, so we decided to make an evening of it. They arrived around 6m and managed to get a table; a banquette so slightly away from the groups that were warmly engaged with one another as the evening progress. Five of us had gathered and began with Italian prosecco. By 6.30pm we had caught  up enough to look at the menu, and the many delightful things on offer. I could see I could immediately there were several things I could eat without asking for this or that not to be included. Phew.


I chose FENNEL salad with radicchio, whitloof, hazelnut, and pear dressed in micro-greens, then had the PIGS TAIL (without the pigs tail) which was walnuts, blueberries, mandarin, currants, faro. Both were divine. Obviously there were secret dressings which I didn’t even try to work out. Fine food and a good evening with family and friends. These dishes were beautifully presented so I now have some ideas on presentation.

No comments: