Saturday, March 15, 2014

Learning how to prepare smoothie lunches

-->
Saturday 15th

So how many grams of protein do you need each day? From what I read, somewhere around 46 for someone like me. Recently with my high protein low carb diet, I was having 95 grams for breakfast, (zero carbs), 95 grams at lunchtime (zero carbs) and 240 for dinner with 30 grams of carbohydrate. That’s essentially a medium piece of chicken, fish or steak, with salad (lettuce, slices of avocado, tomato, herbs, lemon rind dressed with oil) and either green beans, cauliflower, broccoli or carrots. Yes, was my short term eating regime for losing weight, and getting fitter. (Slim forever, or similar to Atkins).

The downsides of that regime is lack of fibre, too much protein, lack of certain nutrients, and longer term, both kidneys and liver would be badly affected. Yes it is pretty unbalanced and yet  I found this highly effective with weight loss and having enough energy to exercise each day, and work a full day. The other downsides is its quite fat laden with proteins like duck and bacon, and quite a bit of salt. The nutrients from pulses and nuts are non-existence in the eating regime.

So, towards better health and lower cholesterol.
Breakie is tomato and avocado on vogels gluten free 5 seed bread, black coffee with cardamom from Prefab thanks for the onto it staff there.

Lunch is a protein smoothie with recipe from Maddy at www.nourishfull.com
Protein Packed smoothie 
Recipe:
Maddy’s recipe
My version
Mix a scoop of pea protein powder
·      1 banana,
·      1 cup almond milk
·      1 tbsp ground flaxseed
·      handfull frozen berry's (or fruit of choice)
·      Handful of raw nuts (hazels or almonds are great)
·      1/2 tsp cinnamon
·      If you want it sweeter you can put in a couple of dates

 A scoop of swiss chocolate SCULPT protein powder
1 frozen banana
1 cup almond milk
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
handful raspberries and blackberries
½ tstp cinnamon

It was fab

This is high protein, low in sugar and really filling, you can experiment with different additions/spices/coconut etc   I have ordered pea protein and hopefully it will arrive during the week. Meanwhile I have a SCULPT product for today.

Visiting my friend Jeanette in Raumati we decided to head out for a meal in the village. I am keen that being vegan isn’t restrictive and have decided not to fuss if I cant get what I want with protein. The café is packed. we manage to find a seat by the open window. There’s a storm predicted but so far all is calm and still. I peruse the menu. Being vegan tonight isn’t going to work. I decided either fish or haloumi served with green salad and roasted beetroot. Jeanette has the fish. I can taste the salt in the cheese. My meal is delicious and thankfully only around 70 gms of cheese.

Later at home I halve some ripe omega plums, take out the stone, and free flow freeze, ready to go with morning cereals. At this point, I feel the pantry is well stocked, I have supplies in the fridge, and the freezer, some things to take to work for lunch, and tomorrow I might plan a menu for the week so I get the hang of this new way of eating.

No comments: