Saturday, March 15, 2014

Shopping for whole foods for my pantry

-->
Friday 14th March
Shopping. Time to add whole food things to the pantry.

Off to Commonsense Organics in Wakefield Street, Wellington. This shop has super good looking, super healthy looking and very helpful staff. And wicker baskets to put your goods into.

So I buy a scoop of:
·      Almond flour
·      Buckwheat flour
·      Chickpea flour
·      Coconut flour (yep) and,
·      Spelt flour
I am not sure what to use them for yet, but I can imagine chickpea flour will be good for thickening tagines, buckwheat flour for pancakes. Almond flour is good for friands, I already use that, but not sure about baking without egg whites. I am sure something will come to mind, or Maddy will give me a few hints on that one.

(I am about to buy some pea protein online so I can make super duper high protein low carb fruit smoothies) cant wait.

Onto the shopping: 3L almond milk, a kilo of organic omega plums, four hearty lemons, 1 kg walnuts, resealable bags of red quinoa, yellow quinoa, nutritional yeast (to sprinkle on tomatoes); toasted coconut flakes and ordinary coconut flakes both of which looked great, a small bottle of stevia syrup (that was expensive). I already have chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, couscous and polenta in the pantry. I also bought instant miso soup packets, 2 tins of coconut milk and 2 tins of coconut water. 

This weekend I am about to work out the grams of carbohydrate and grams of protein per serve for all of those ingredients. I am learning I need

Please note: I have not thrown out the white flour, white, brown castor or raw sugar. David hasn’t taken this on, yet. At this point I am thinking I might have an egg every now and again, and meat or cheese every now and again. Both David and I really enjoy our vegetables and salads and I grown lots of stuff over at the farm, especially herbs and green vegetables; lettuces, beans, courgettes, onions, capsicums, chillies, basil, bay leaves, mint, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, parsley along with blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, lemons, and tangerines. There we go, I have found my green fingers and am slowly approaching a whole food way of eating.

Dinner:
half cup each of guacamole, humus and baba ganoush, one organic carrot and 60g of tofu soaked in satay sauce. This was way too much food. I would have eaten about half of it. All delicious, other than the texture of the tofu. It was a bit tough, tasty though.

No comments: