Saturday, March 29, 2014

Myths and riddles with B12 and making traditional pear jelly


One of the things in eating whole foods is that they don’t contain Vitamin B-12 (aka Cobalamin). B-12 is one of the largest and most complex vitamin currently known, and its central source is meat, eggs and fish. A slight deficiency of vitamin B-12 can lead to anemia, fatigue, mania, and depression, while a long term deficiency can cause permanent damage to the brain and central nervous system. Spooky stuff.
Read more at
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php#slu8O7eUfquc7azH.99

 I had thought I would get my B12 from a supplement. I have second thoughts. Supplements seemed an odd choice as they are processed, manufactured,  and the whole aim of whole foods is to avoid processed foods.  The more I read about health food supplement producers they are linked to making synthetic drugs and performance enhancers so not so much my cup of tea, so to speak.

Super red berry oats with almonds
More B12 facts. An average daily intake for an adult is 2.8 micrograms (mcg). The supplements I looked at were 50mcg each which seems a bit odd for daily intake. Having read quite a bit more research,I see soy, rice, and almond milks per cup,each have 1mcg. So with breakfast smoothie or almond milk and oats, I get half what is needed each day.

Thai fish curry: aka B12 for DJ
I am not keen to fret over micrograms I have decided it is easier to eat fish once a week  or an egg here and there. Here’s the Thai fish curry I made on Friday night.

 There have been big winds during the week, and sadly I have lost yet another olive tree branch. I hate seeing this happen so I am glad I wasn’t here. So out with my trusty saw and pruning paste. Heartbreaking as this branch was laden with olives, one of the few in the North Olives of about 40 trees. Oh the pain of being a horticulturalist!

 This weekend I have cut back the raspberries and planted kale. There are still lettuces, chillies, capsicum, courgettes, herbs, lemons, mandarins and one last strawberry.  Autumn is here.

The last of our pears
Pear Jelly
I have made pear jelly using a Christine Ferber recipe via www.shesimmers.com using four of our pears. I decided to use sugar! This is an indulgence cos sugar is definately NOT vegan. So far the jelly hasn’t set even after boiling for half an hour with pectin.   So its more like pear honey! I do have this dream of making crystal clear pear jelly, where you can spoon it our of the jar - not pour it. I made it once and cant for the life of me recall what I did!



Batch number two with our final five pears. This looks better but doesn't look likely to set. Note for next year.....make like strawberry jam,use juicy pears and don't add water! Or maybe juice the pears and go from there.



Heading off to Minerva with the shovels
 The other excitement this weekend, is Minerva has at last found her feet! I made Minerva shortly after I met David and she stood proudly on our back deck. During the rennovations she was knocked over and her hair fell off, and her base broke. That was over ten years ago. At last she is standing by the eucalyptus tree with an infrastructure of concrete going down 500cm! Thank you David. 
David putting final touches with Minerva

During spring I plan to plant red poppies at her feet so in summer she will really be on show. 





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.
เน็ต ทรู ราย วัน