Sunday, June 22, 2014

Whole food juices for breakfast and lunch



In 1972 I had a month in Indonesia and then Singapore. Amidst all the chillies and spices, I loved the fresh juices, especially freshly made watermelon juice. I bought a trusty juicer (right) for around $40, duty free, and it is still going strong.

I notice with whole foods, I am eating more carbohydrates with cereals, corn breads and buckwheat blinis. Every now and again I just feel like nutritious juices, and yes I have read reboot with Joe and his inspirational story.

Now I know my way around Commonsense Organics which stocks seasonal products, so my winter juices are fantastic. Usually a base of kale which comes out bright dark green, looks amazing and tastes earthy. I add cucumbers from time to time.  Then I make a mix of carrots, root ginger, apples, persimmons, oranges. sometimes I add a lemon, or kiwifruit. I usually put 20% vegetable juice in with the mixed fruit juice. The final colour is nothing to write home about - khaki - but looking down on the juice you can see the oranges, yellows and greens of the different ingredients. And it tastes divine and feels decidedly nutritious.

More recently I came across organic powdered kale, and if I haven't had a chance to buy fresh kale, in goes a teaspoon or two of this. Not quite the same as fresh, but good enough for now and then. I sprinkle a teaspoon of this onto a small amount of juice and let it sit, then stir it in, then add the rest of the juice.

Yes it does seem odd having a powdered organic version of a delicious fresh vegetable, but, there you go.

Also just read in Organics NZ (birthday present from neighbour Jane) that Remuera New World directly contracts 30 -35 organic growers for direct supply. Best news is they commit to selling the produce at the same price as non-organic. And, they have noticed sales of organic produce has gone up from $1000 a week three years ago for organic produces to $35,000 currently. How good is that? New World Remuera also stock over 250 Ceres (organic) products. We are lucky to have Commonsense Organics in Wellington with their amazing range of fresh products sourced from all over NZ and other organic products sourced from all over the world. I love doing my weekly shop there.

No comments: