Thursday, June 6, 2013

The April Grape Harvest at Blackrock Rd



We were up at the crack of dawn for our first coffee and for me, a fresh juice - carrot, apple, pear and ginger with our super duper Breville juicer. This is me at the bench doing my best to look awake. We have a few things to do before the neighbours arrive. Richard is still sound asleep. WE plan to begin picking around 9.30am. David and I head out and there is a massive dew.





The grass is really wet and we have one of those much disliked jobs...David and I unclip and lift all the nets.
This means bending down, unclipped the bread clips from the nets, pocketing them, for 9 rows, 12 bays a row, 5 vines a bay. That is a lot of bending and a lot of unclipping and lifting. Fingers frozen, backs aching, and time to head inside for a coffee and some breakfast.  The good news is the grapes looks great.
 Everyone arrives around 9.30 and David leads a master class in picking the grapes. Only pick the ripe bunches, taste every now and again and if they are bitter, toss them out.

Left: Richard, Jane and Mena listening to Davo.
 Richard emerging from the cottage, ready for the day
 Left:
David letting us know what is what in picking the grapes.

We take a bucket each, choose our pruners, and pruning partner and off we go.

We pair up so we can talk as we go. Mena carefully selecting the grapes to cut.
Richard and Richards picking.
My bucket is nearly full.
 My very snazzy and very old outdoor work boots. I bought these in Rome around 1998, they have done a few miles. David refuses to walk with me when I wear these to the supermarket, but they are ideal for picking grapes.






We take each bucket filled with grapes over to the trailer with all the bins. David weighs each one, and carefully records the weight. We are heading for 200 - 300kg of grapes.
Richard  contemplating.
 By 11.30, seven of us have picked everything we are going to pick.  Time for another coffee. 
David and I take the grapes over to Martinborough to our new winemaker, James Walker. he is going to using a French method in making the wine and it could be ready by mid June! Watch this space!



No comments: