Thursday, September 6, 2007

Wow, did you see that


Driving over last night, about 1 km from our place, a deer, startled as me, shot across the road. I braked, and everything slid off the front seat, as the deer hurtled over the road, down towards the river. How amazing. I phoned Paul S and he told me he had heard there were 2 stags down by the river, and this hind was likely to foal in 6 weeks. How amazing is that!
Saturday am I awoke to a 4.8 degree frost and a warm day, totally blue sky. A real Wairarapa day!
Mike was working on the stone fence and is putting in the letter box David had made. The fence is looking great, we are both completely thrilled with it. I gardened in the morning, weeding the house garden, replanting lavendars which are beginning their spring growith, and planting out the red poppies Jane gave me to lift my spirits. The summer garden will be gorgeous. The green house was next and 12 shoots of rosemary, Tuscan blue are in their pots hopefully to plant out in November around the shearers quarters. There are vague hints of green on the orange branches of the willow trees down by the river. I pruned about 5 olive trees this morning too, and cut my finger on the saw. Blood everywhere, all over the secateurs, gruesome looking.
Bloss and Alistair arrived late afternoon and we settled in. Our row before breakfast this weekend was olive trees. Bloss was on the pruning past, covering all the cuts I had made, and Alistair was trimming off the dead wood. Over the weekend we completed 4 rows, 24 trees. Not bad going with both Bloss and Alistair well into the 80's. Bloss had a great eye for the trees and which leaders to saw off. She was hot on taking off all the damaged and diseased wood. With both her and Anne's guidance, I am getting the hang of pruning olive trees. Bloss began to address the aethetics of the trees which I had noticed Anne had done this when she pruned the roses. So from here on I will be noting the overall shape of the trees. 150 trees to go so plenty of room to move on this one! David completed spraying the 13 rows of vines and mowed all around the house right out to the vista! looks fantastic. Alistair took photos, and measured the roof area of the barn so we can calculate the litres per minute rainfall which relates to how large the overflow soak hole will need to be. Hmmm. The MDC want this information!

No comments: