Monday, April 23, 2007

Work or play?


Its a crazy thing, as each weekend we come here, we work like crazy. How come? For me, its mostly as my work is ethereal, and this is a chance to see the differences I am producing. And this diary will give us a chance to see over time what we have been doing. Our intention was to come and read and paint, however we work on the property as well. Saturday David put in the pantry, Gerry had made the shelves and they were mm too long. We needed a plane. I've been keen we dont replicate all the tools we have from the apartment, however David needed a plane so off to Mitre 10 ( our fav weekend spot - destination shopping), and low and behold, an electric plane was less expensive that a handheld, so we now have a fab electric plane, and a pantry. At last we can see our supplies, what we have and anything we need. I am delighted and no longer have to move many bowls and supplies to find a saucepan. Sunday we placed thick polythene plastic over 3square metres around the well and taped it in place with silver tape (cos we had it). David shovelled earth from one of the piles from the well excavation, and I shovelled earth from another, into our yellow bins, on the trailer and farm biked it over the the well, learning to back with occassional success. Back and forth, til most of the area is covered. Phew, loads more to do. We plonked the large stones onto the back of the landi and trucked them up to the front fence, we now have a stone fence about .5m high, of loose stones about a quarter the width of the front of the property. Hmm, yes that stone fence. I am staying 5 days, including ANZAC day, so am discovering what it will be like to have a holiday here!
Being slightly nervous of being on my own in the country, I phoned Marguerite, and let her know, saying if I was freaked out I'd phone. Around 4am the house woke and began creaking. A cup of tea later and back to sleep. Phew, made it. Up early with a coffee and the stunning view in the morning sun, dew, and the mist making a hasty exit. First thing was to paint the wooden stays in the pantry. This required me to lie on my side on the floor, and paint, 3 coats. Doing this on my right side was easier than on my left! The thought, I am too old for this, crossed my mind. Then off out to the well and painted some irises on the well cover. If you have to have these things then they need to look half way decent! Jane had coffee ready so across Paul's property to Jane's and morning tea outside in sun overlooking the river and the autumn hills. Gorgeous. Then shopping! Most weekends see us in Farmlands, Mitre 10 or the Warehouse, so this time, browsing. Two winter tops and a pair of jeans later, then home to mow around the house. Jane, William and I went up and over Chester's Lockliddy sections and sat on top of the hill in the setting sun, looking out over the valley and river, quiet, calm and the green, golds and reds of autumn, then picking mushrooms on the way home for dinner. A chance to paint with Linda and Jane in the evening, and Jane teaches me how to apply the paint to the canvas. Linda completes a stunning pencil drawing of William capturing his warmth and quizzical look and Jane adds more depth to her glacial painting for an exhibition next week. I like this holiday a lot!

No comments: